How to Develop OCR Scanner Mobile App - Complete Guide
Technology / February, 16 2020
OCR scanner stands for Optical character recognition; it converts the scanned documents into or images into text. It can convert different types of documents like pdf, images, etc. into searchable and editable text. There are lots of applications available in the play store which provide scanning facilities and quickly transforming documents on your phones. You can save the scanned documents in word format for free. These app scanners easily convert the files so you can print or read anywhere on any device like mobile, laptop, or tab.
The cost of developing these app scanners for iOS & android may differ but its features are worth the price. You can also sign the documents instantly with the help of these scanners. Now everything is going digital and with the help of these digital apps, we can share documents at any time, anywhere. It also saves time, money, and effort of a person. It helps to bring the physical & digital world together. It is a simple way to convert your documents. In this blog, we are going to discuss how to develop an OCR scanner mobile app.
What are the benefits of the OCR mobile app?
The document imaging market is growing fastly because of the increasing demand for smartphones and tablets. The flow of digital work leads to higher demand for these apps. It easily captures the information by eliminating time-consuming working processes.
Benefits of using OCR mobile app
1. Cost-effective: These scanning apps save the cost of sending or scanning the documents. It also helps businesses to operate with low-cost processing.
2. Time-saving: Easy and fast processing of tasks. Accessing a digital file is time-saving compared to the physical one.
3. Improves customer services: It reduces the manual typing work so you don’t have to pay for extra resources and also improves the customer services to easily access the information.
4. Higher productivity: It facilitates quick document conversion and data retrieval so that businesses can achieve high productivity.
5. High accuracy: These scanning apps maintain the accuracy in the documents there are few or no chances of having an error in the scanned documents. It shows the correct information by reducing the chances of errors.
6. Text searchable documents: One of the important advantages of OCR apps is that they make the digitized documents 100% searchable. It helps to quickly find the important information of documents.
7. Editable documents: When you forget to add some information and want to change in the document, it is easy to edit the documents because these OCR apps convert it into a word file so you can edit it any time.
Features of an Optical Character Recognition App (OCR)
OCR has two types of users: the one who manages, creates, shares, and converts the file. Another is back-end users who take care of its features. Let’s see its features:
User panel features
1. Registration: Users need to register on these apps through their mail id or social media accounts through accounts. The OCR app takes the general information of the user.
2. Login: Once you successfully registered on OCR apps you can log in to use it.
3. Manage profile: Now you will become a member of the app and you can manage your profile like a photo, password, etc.
4. Document conversion: The user can convert the pdf, image, or text using these apps and import the file in any format which is easy to edit.
5. Multiple input format: OCR apps support different formats so users can input any format to convert the document.
6. Real-time file detection: When the user scans a document OCR app will be able to detect it in real-time.
7. Save, share, and manage documents: Users can save the converted documents and share them with a third party.
8. Notifications: These applications allow users to receive notifications of important updates and information.
Admin Panel Features
1. Login: Admin needs the login id and password to login to the app.
2. Dashboard: Through the dashboard, the user will be able to maintain and monitor documents, languages, and formats used./p>
3. User, language, and document management: From here, the user will be able to manage all the documents, a language that he wants to use to convert the file, and all the users associated with the app
4. Analytics and report: This section will provide the real-time analytics report about the users and documents.
5. Notifications: Admin receives the notifications related to the working activities.
Top Optical Character Recognition (OCR) Scanning mobile applications In the app store, you can find lots of OCR scanning applications some are free and some are paid. Here are some widely used application:
1. PDF scanner- One of the best free OCR applications that convert the text files into pdf. There is no limit, you can scan unlimited documents without a watermark. This app is accessible only on android phones.
2. Online OCR- This application is easy to use and it supports 46 languages. In its free version, you can upload a file of only 5MB. If you want to upload more than 5MB then you have to buy its pro version.
3. Google docs- Free OCR software everyone is familiar with this application. You can scan and download the documents in any format and also support many languages.
4. OmniPage standard 18- It is a professional level application and for those who don’t mind spending extra money. This app has got a gold award and number 1 rank in the market. Yes, it is costly but its features are impressive. You can recreate the paper or pdf and the most important is that each new file matches the exact font, color, and layout of the original document.
Cost required for the development of OCR app
A simple OCR app would cost around $6500 for iOS or Android and if you want to have advanced features it would cost more than $20,000.
This is all about how to develop an OCR scanner mobile app. OCR app development costs depend on the requirements of users. If you want to develop an OCR application at affordable costs then it is important to find a reliable app development company. Share your views with us on OCR application development in the comments.
Mr. Bhuvnesh Mathur
Bhuvnesh got his Bachelor's degree in software engineering in 2017 and has been working in Vidhema Technologies since 2018 as SEO Lead and technical writer. He has a special knack of learning from all verticals and imbibing the extracts into his writing and enjoys learning techincal aspects of of writing for his experties as SEO and SMO. In his writing he express his experience and understading of different technologies.